In this guide, I will be showing how to Root OnePlus Nord with Magisk. Since OnePlus Nord is recently launched there is no TWRP or flashable Magisk zip files available for this phone. But don’t worry we can still root this device using the boot patched image.
Now if you have been into Android then you must be knowing about Magisk. Magisk is a tool that allows us to safely root android devices without modifying the real system files.
This is the most important feature of this tool. Unlike other methods, Magisk is very safe and Google’s SafetyNet friendly. That means after rooting your device you can run banking apps without any issue.
By following this guide you will be able to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus Nord and Root this device. As we are unlocking the bootloader it will void the device warranty. You can relock the Bootloader of your OnePlus Nord any time you want.
Let’s see a quick overview of this smartphone.
About OnePlus Nord
OnePlus recently launched its mid-range smartphone, OnePlus Nord. This is not just the phone but a series, you will see a lot of other budget centric smartphones in the upcoming months. The phone features a 6.44 inches SUPER AMOLED display, the display on this phone supports 90 Hz refresh rate.
You are getting Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on the front and backside of the phone. This phone comes with Snapdragon 765 G which is an Octa-core 5G chipset. Talking about the OS, OnePlus Nord runs on the latest Android 10 on top of OxygenOS.
You are getting Quad camera setup on the back, which is of 48 MP + 8 MP + 5 MP + 2 MP and the Dual selfie camera of the front which is of 32 MP + 8 MP. This device features a 48MP Sony IMX586 main sensor with OIS and EIS. You can record videos at 4K 60 FPS and Slow Motion at 1080p at 240 FPS.
The best part of this phone is that it supports 5G modem, which makes this phone future proof. Plus you will get a strong network on the phone thanks to the 765G processor. OnePlus Nord has a big 4115 mAh battery which supports WarpCharge 30T fast charing. This device can easily last you 2 days without any issue.
Things to remember
- Make sure to disable all security Locks on your OnePlus Nord.
- Take Full Backup of your Android device.
- You need a PC to perform the Commands.
- Fully charge your phone.
- Download OxygenOS Latest Build for your device. (Download builds depending on your region.)
- Move the downloaded build file into the root directory.
- Go to Settings > System > System Update > Tap on “Local upgrade” option.
- Select the build file and Install it.
- Next, Enable USB debugging and OEM Unlock option.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build number 5-6 times.
- Now go Back > System > Developer options > Enable “OEM Unlocking” and “USB debugging”.
- Download SDK Platform tool and Extract it to your desktop.
Steps to Root OnePlus Nord with Magisk
Before proceeding to the installation part make sure to complete the requirements section.
1.) Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus Nord
- Connect your OnePlus Nord device to PC using the original USB cable.
- Open the Platform-tools folder and type “cmd” in the address bar and hit Enter.
- Command window/PowerShell will open.
- Now type the following command and hit Enter.
adb reboot bootloader
- Next, type the following command to Unlock the Bootloader on OnePlus Nord. (Note: Unlocking the bootloader will wipe all your data).
fastboot oem unlock
- Reboot your device.
- That’s it you have successfully Unlock the Bootloader on OnePlus Nord.
2.) Install Magisk Manager on OnePlus Nord
- Download Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Download the extracted boot.img for your build.
- Install Magisk Manager apk file on your phone.
- Open the app and tap on INSTALL.
- Next, tap on the “Select and Patch a File” option and Locate the boot.img file.
- Wait until Magisk patches your boot.img, the patched file can be found in the Downloads folder.
- Now Copy that patched boot.img to your PC/Laptop. (The patched image will be named as magisk_patched.img)
3.) Replace the phone’s current boot image with Magisk patched image.
- Again return to Command window/PowerShell and type the following command to boot into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once the phone boots into fastboot mode, then type the next command and press Enter.
fastboot getvar current-slot
- If the output is a, type
fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
- And press Enter.
- If the output is b, type
fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img
- And press Enter.
- Now Reboot your OnePlus Nord phone.
- Open Magisk Manager app and it should now show all green checks.
- That’s it you have successfully Rooted your OnePlus Nord smartphone.
// XDA Source
Now you can take full advantage of your android. You can install Root apps, Magisk Modules, and many more other customizations.
Final Word –
As this was the early development of OnePlus Nord, rooting this phone involved a few more steps as compared to the TWRP recovery method. If you encounter any problems while applying the above steps then make sure to leave a comment. We will try to resolve your problems as soon as possible.
We will be coming with more guides for this device. Stay Tuned for upcoming tutorials.